DIVISION E - OPEN CLASS PHOTOGRAPHY
Frank & Terri Townsend– Superintendent – 360-705-1349
OPEN CLASS PRINT COMPETITION
How to Enter a Print
1. Obtain an entry for the ‘Photographic Exhibition
(open class)’, available from FRIDAY, July 1 through Wednesday, July 27th at Don’s Camera 316 North Capitol Blvd, Olympia; Olympia Framemakers, 1822 Harrison Avenue on Olympia's west side; Beard’s Framing, Fred Meyer Shopping Center, Lacey; or at The Thurston County Fair office. Fill it out the form completely following the detailed instructions on the back of the entry form as shown in 2 and 3 below. Entry forms will also be available on Saturday, July 30th, at the Photo Entry Desk in the Hobbies/Craft Building, Thurston County Fairgrounds. Deliver your prints as detailed in 4, below.
2. Exhibitor number is the first letter of your last name plus the last 4
numbers of your Social Security Number.
3. Enter the following in the upper left corner on the back of EACH
PRINT mount. (Prints will become separated from the entry form.)
This information is essential:
* Title of your print
* Your exhibitor number (see 2 above)
* Your full name
* Your complete address
* Your phone number
* Lot and class
* Print number (taken from the line on the entry form)
4. From July 1st until July 27th prints may be delivered to:
DON’S CAMERA, 314 North Capitol, Olympia
Olympia Framemakers, 1822 Harrison Avenue, Olympia
BEARD’S FRAMING, Fred Meyer Shopping Center, Lacey
After July 27th, prints must be entered at the Thurston County
Fair (Sokolik Bldg.) on July 30th between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm.
1. The exhibitor of the picture must be the original maker of the image.
2. Prints will be accepted only on the Saturday prior to the Fair between the hours of 10:00 am and 4:00 pm. Early entries will be accepted as in 4, above.
3. Prints entered MUST be identified with the following information
printed clearly in the upper left corner on the BACK of each print mount:
Title of print, Exhibitor Number, Exhibitor’s full name, complete address
and phone number, lot, class, and print number (see 3, above).
4. Any print with any identifying marks or writing on the front will be disqualified from judging and peoples choice awards but will still be displayed at the fair.
5. All exhibits must be mounted and/or matted. Foam core mounts and/or matte board style is preferred. Framed prints and prints mounted with glass will not be accepted.
6. No hooks or wires are to be placed on the back of the print mounts.
7. A maximum of 6 prints will be accepted from each exhibitor. A
maximum of 3 prints may be entered in any one “Lot.”
8. The NEW minimum entry size is now 8”x 10” and the maximum entry size is
16”x20”. Entry sizes will be measured, including matte (if applicable).
Odd sized entries are acceptable so long as the shortest side is at least 8” and the longest side is no more than 20”.
9. An entry may contain multiple images on one mat or mount so long
as dimensions in rule 8 are not exceeded. Multiple image entries will be judged as a single entry.
10. Hand colored black and white prints are acceptable in the Black and
White category, so long as there is only one color in addition to
black and white. Any entry with 2 or more additional colors will be
considered a color print.
11. Digital images are acceptable in any category. Images created using HDR and/or ones that have minimum corrections can be entered into any category. “DIGITAL CREATIONS” should use only LOT ‘J’.
See “Note from the Superintendent” below.
12. Each print may only be entered in one lot. An exhibitor may not
make multiple copies of an image and enter them into different lots.
13. Any print previously entered in the Thurston County Fair Division
E - Photography (Open) may not again be entered or exhibited.
14. Following acceptance of prints, the prints will be judged the following day, Sunday July 31st at 9 am. The Superintendent may at his/her discretion, permit exhibitors to witness the judging so long as exhibitors in no way interfere with the judging process. Judges are encouraged to talk about the images and give feed back to the audience when applicable.
15. Admission tickets to the Fair are not provided to exhibitors.
16. Ribbons will be awarded to winners. All ribbons will be posted with the print on exhibit. Other prizes, if available, may be awarded during the Fair.
17. Exhibits must be picked up at the Photo Exhibit desk in the Hobbies/Crafts
building, Thurston County Fairgrounds on SUNDAY August 7th 2011, the closing day of the Fair, between the hours of 8:00 pm and 9:00 pm or on Monday following the Fair closing between 4:00 and 7:00 pm. Entries will NOT be mailed to exhibitors. Entries will NOT be returned to the camera shops. Following the Monday after the fair’s closing, prints must be picked up at the main office of the Thurston County Fairgrounds.
18. All precautions possible will be taken with entries. The Fair or its
volunteers cannot be held responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged exhibits.
19. The Superintendent reserves the right to disqualify and withhold from display any photograph he/she deems inappropriate for a family fair.
20. SECTIONS, CLASSES, LOTS.
A - Adult
J – Junior (less than 13 years old as of January 1, present year)
T – Teen (between the age of 13 and 19 as of January 1, present year)
Class 1 - Color Prints
Class 2 - Monochrome Prints (black and white images)
A People (General people pictures)
B Domestic animals (livestock and pets)
C Photojournalism/Human Interest (images of people in every day action)
D Portraits (Posed people pictures)
E Wild animals (includes wild and those in captivity)
F Nature Scenics (Images of land, sky, water etc. There should be little to no
evidence of ‘man’ meaning no people, buildings, bridges or anything man
made. A “limited hand of man”.)
G Plants and Flowers (Indoor, outdoor, arrangements, etc.)
H Man made Scenery. (Scenic’s and Vista’s that INCLUDE some form of man made
object, ei building, bridge, architecture, people etc.)
I Still-life and Table Top photos (static arrangements)
J Special Effects & Digital Creations (trick photography and/or images created
with a computer after original photo(s) were taken.)
K Miscellaneous (Photos that don’t fit in other lots)
L Best use of the Thurston County Theme “Laughter and Ladybugs at the Thurston
County Fair.” Or the mascot, “Harry the Hat” (Photos of ladybugs, any
other other general Fair time photos)
Class 3 - Junior/Teen ONE CLASS ONLY - Color and Black & White will be judged together.
M People (Includes candid, portrait, Human Interest)
N Scenic (Landscapes, waterscapes, etc.)
O Animals (Birds, insects, animals, etc.)
P Plants and Flowers (Flowers, plants, leaves, etc)
Q Miscellaneous (All others)
R Best use of the Thurston County Theme “Ten Gallons Of Fun at the Thurston
County Fair.” Or the mascot, “Harry the Hat” (Photos of cowboy hats, any
other hats and any other general Fair time photos)
Prints will be judged on the following criteria:
Impact of picture
Composition and subject matter
Quality of presentation
Three judges will collaborate to judge each lot and will award ribbons within the lot using a modified “Danish” system. They will be permitted to award as many of each ribbon as they feel is merited by the photographs in the lot. The judges will award a “Champion” ribbon to the print selected as the best in each lot and they will award a “Best of Class” ribbon to one entry from each class. Finally, the judges will collaborate to choose one print as “Best of Show” for the Adult section and one “Best of Show” for the “Junior/Teen” sections. In addition, each judge will award a “Judge’s Choice” ribbon to a print of their individual choosing. There will also be a “People’s Choice” ribbon awarded for each day of the fair. Each print may earn only one “Peoples Choice” ribbon.
NOTE: Any LOT with insufficient monochrome entries will be combined with Color entries for judging. Any single LOT with less than 5 entries total will be judged with the Miscellaneous LOT of appropriate Class.
PREMIUM POINTS: Premium points will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners only. Honorable Mention winners will be awarded a ribbon, but no points.
PREMIUM POINTS BLUE (1st place) RED (2nd place) WHITE (3rd place)
50 30 15
Champion, Best of Class, Best of Show and Judge’s Choice Awards will be
NOTE FROM THE SUPERINTENDENT: As the world of photography changes, we have to update some of the rules that go along with this competition. Digital photography is now more prominent than film photography. We encourage everyone to do what they feel is necessary to correct colors, improve sharpness, and make their entries the best they can before the fair. However, if you are creating an image from multiple photos to create a whole new image, please remember to use LOT J so that your creativity can be judged on the same level as other people who are just as creative. We want to encourage everyone to feel their work is accepted and judged equally here at the Thurston County Fair.